CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Controversial Subject #1

I recently read somewhere (and I wouldn't be mentioning it, except I just got into a big arguement with a friend about it) that alot of people think birth control should be illegal to anyone under the age of 18. Now I ask those people this one question: What sense does that make?

Taking birth control away from teens isn't going to stop them from doing the deed (and if you don't know what that is, well, just think dirty!). Just because I'm 21 and still a virgin does not mean that every person my age is the same way. And just because you take away the birth control, doesn't mean the kids are gonna say "OK, well I guess we can't do it now!"

I suppose my anger on this subject is coming from an old repeat of E.R. that I watched last week. Or maybe it's because The Secret Life of the American Teenager is back for its second season (and, on a completely unrelated note, I like the show, but it is far from "brilliantly written" as the critics have put it). Or maybe it's just because I'm in a pissy mood and have been reading comments from stupid people on youtube all day. Either way, I feel like I just have to get this out:
Is it really all that bad giving teenagers birth control?

Or would everyone just like high school kids having kids willy-nilly? The dropout rate go up? Or how about the abortion rate? Now just for the record, I don't have a definitive position on abortion, but I don't want the rate to go up any more than anyone else does. And adoption centers, foster houses and orphanages (are there even any orphanages anymore?) would eventually become overcrowded with the children of these teenagers.

Now, as I said earlier, I've never made that big move with any guy. Hell, I've never been kissed on the lips! But I was on birth control for over a year for nothing more than one thing: regulation. I know all the ladies out there understand what I mean by that. And now that I'm not on the pill anymore, I wish I were for that same reason.

OK, maybe schools shouldn't be handing out condoms to every Tom, Dick, or Harry who decides that they wanna get laid, but the school councelors should at least have them on hand. I mean, it's their job to advise the students, right? How can they advise them to use birth control, but not give them the access to it? And why should a parent make a big deal out of it. I mean, sure, it's their little baby, but I know that if my parents found a condom or two in my purse they'd at least be happy I was being safe. I'm sure they don't wanna be grandparents yet (then again, Momma has been mentioning it alot lately....)

I guess my point is that in trying to protect our children, all we're doing is setting them up for disaster. I give you an example:

A 15-year-old girl gets pregnant. She has three choices: 1) have the baby and give it up for adoption, 2) abort it, 3) have it and keep it.

Scenario #1) She suddenly feels lost without her child. Sure the baby has a better life, but eventually it's going to want to know about its birth mother and could she handle that?
Scenario #2) Lifelong emotional and maybe even physical pain.
Scenario #3) Most high school students with children drop out, plain and simple, to care for the child. The fact of the matter is, college is more flexible than high school as far as classes, but what colleges can you get into with only a GED or no diploma at all?

I'm all for having children, I love children, I'm just saying that kids under the age of 18 should wait. And because they're all horndogs (especially the boys) we all know that's not going to happen, then we should help them to get a life and a future before tying them down with a baby by making sure they can't have a baby!

A controversial ideal, I know. I'm just full of them. But I had to get it off my chest!

Feel free to leave a comment telling me how you feel about this (if I even have any followers at all)!

0 comments: