CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 18, 2009

Spamalot

Yesterday I went to see Spamalot with the guy I'm dating, and had a BLAST! It was alot funnier than I thought it would be and was only made better by a wardrobe malfunction during the Black Knight scene in which the actors had to improvise on the spot. Basically, the when Arthur cut the Black Knight's arm off, it fell off and became attached to the actor's leg. He tried to shake it off, then quickly looked at Arthur and said, "wanna give me a hand?" Arthur, who was played by the incredibly talented John O'Hurley, used his foot to kick the arm away and muttered something about Dancing With the Stars, on which he was a contestant. The second arm wouldn't come off at all and required Arthur to chop a second time. The audience was laughing so hard the next couple of lines were missed entirely!! Oh, it was HILARIOUS!!

The cast was also kind enough to throw in some nods toward Denver, with one of the Knights of Ni chanting, "Here we go, Nuggets, here we go!" and pounding his staff on the ground. At the end of the play, Arthur says to the guy pulled onstage, "Your name will be revered throughout Denver, along with John Elway." God almighty, I've never laughed so hard in my entire life! I don't think there was a single line in the play that wasn't funny. And the songs were great as well. Songs like, You Won't Succeed on Broadway (If You Don't Have Any Jews), and I'm All Alone, sung by Arthur when Patsy's standing right next to him... Oh man, it is the greatest show for anyone in a bad mood, I can tell you that much. You will not be angry by the time Spamalot ends.

I almost want to see it again because there's always so much going on on the stage at the same time and it's hard to watch all of it. While you're watching someone on stage right say something, someone stage left is making funny gestures or faces, or is dancing out of nowhere for no reason. You might be watching a set of characters do one thing while another set is doing another that you've completely missed. Plus, I'm sure the actors improvise alot, especially during the end of the play when they pull someone from the audience up on the stage. Working with different people who don't have any acting experience has got to be hard, but they managed to pull it off perfectly.

When my date asked me what my favorite scene was, I couldn't pick just one. The French Taunting scene is a classic, but the Black Knight scene has always been one of my personal favorites. Of course, my favorite song from the soundtrack is You Won't Succeed on Broadway (which they seemed to slow down for the show we saw. It wasn't as upbeat, but it was still funny!). I also love Knights of the Round Table, which is just a fun song, and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.... oh, I can't pick!!

Anyway, when the play was over, I bought a souvenire brochure and a Killer Rabbit puppet, which is surprisingly cute despite the teeth. We went to dinner and then he stayed here until about 1:00 in the morning. I didn't even get to sleep until 1:30. I am TIRED!!

But it turned out to be one of the best dates I've ever been on, and he and I kinda established a sort of relationship. We're now officially dating. How awsome is that? So it was a good weekend... well, a good Sunday anyways.

I recommend Spamalot highly to anyone looking for a GREAT time at the theatre.

0 comments: